Content Type is one of the elements of Content Management feature of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007. It helps defining various types of documents (e.g. Equity Report, Newsletter, Financial Report, et al). Moreover, it is a collection of settings that embodies the characteristics for a specific type of content.
A content type has the following building blocks:
o Document Template for Document Content Type
o Workflow Settings
o Document Information Panel Settings
o Information Management Policy Settings
o Columns or Metadata
In this piece of “How To” writing, I will only focus on Document Template for Document Content Type, and we are three steps away from it.
1. Document Template Preparation
2. Content Type Creation
3. Document Library Configuration
Step 1: Document Template Preparation
1. Open and save a Microsoft Office Word 2007 installed template. In this writing I will use the Equity Report template.
Step 2: Content Type Creation
1. In your parent site, click Site Actions > Site Setting.
2. Under Galleries, click Site Content Type. You will be redirected to Site Content Type Gallery page.
3. In the Site Content Type Gallery, click Create. You will be redirected to New Site Content Type page.
4. Follow the following settings:
a. Name: Equity Report
b. Description: For demonstration purposes only.
c. Parent Content Type
i. Select Parent Content Type From: Document Content Types
ii. Parent Content Type: Document
d. Put this Site Content Type Into: Custom Content Types
5. Click OK. You will be redirected to the Site Content Type : Equity Report page.
6. Under Settings, click Advanced Setting. It will redirect you to Site Content Type Advances Setting: Equity Report page.
7. In the Document Template section, select the Upload a New Document Template option and browse the Equity Report you have prepared in Step 1. In the Read Only section, select No. And in the Update Sites and Lists select Yes. Then, click OK.
8. Moreover, in the Site Content Type: Equity Report page, you could also configure the Workflow Settings, Document Information Panel Settings, and Information Management Policy Settings, and Document Columns (metadata).
Step 3: Document Library Configuration
1. In your Document Library, click Settings > Document Library Settings. You will be redirected to the Customize Document Library page.
2. Under General Settings, click Advanced Settings. A Document Library Advanced Settings page will be displayed.
3. In the Content Types section, select Yes to allow management of content types. Then, click OK. You will be brought back to the Customize Document Library page. Notice that in the Content Types section, an Add from Existing Site Content Types link button is already available.
4. Click Add from Existing Site Content Types. Add Content Types page will be displayed.
5. Select the Equity Report from the Available Site Content Types list, then click Add.
6. Finally, click OK.
At this instant, Equity Report is already included in the drop-down menu of New button in your document library.