Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Integration
I was once asked: “Is there an offline support for SharePoint lists and document libraries?” Yes there is! Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 as our offline client application.
Not to mention that this walkthrough is applicable as well for other SharePoint lists/libraries, we will be focusing on the integration and synchronization of SharePoint calendar with Outlook.
1. In our Outlook My Calendar, we will create two activities. For our purpose, we will set them as:
a. Outlook Activity A, September 20, 2007, 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
b. Outlook Activity B, September 20, 2007, 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
2. In our SharePoint Calendar, we will create an activity. We will set it SharePoint Activity A, September 20, 2007, 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
3. Now we will start the integration. In our SharePoint Calendar page, click Actions, then Connect to Outlook. We will be transferred to Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 with the Connect this SharePoint Calendar to Outlook dialog box. Below is the illustration.
4. In the same dialog box, let us click Advanced. We will be prompted by the SharePoint List Options dialog box. Below is the illustration.
5. For our purpose, we will change the Folder Name to SharePoint Calendar, and leave the Update Limit being checked to update our subscription with the publisher’s recommendation. Then, click OK.
6. In our Connect this SharePoint Calendar to Outlook dialog box, click Yes. Automatically, our SharePoint Calendar will be integrated in our Outlook under Other Calendars category. Below is the illustration.
7. In our Outlook menu, let us click Tools, then Account Settings. The Account Settings dialog box will be displayed. Notice that our SharePoint Calendar is already listed in the SharePoint Lists. Below is the illustration.
8. At rest in the Tools menu, let us point to Send/Receive, then to Send/Receive Settings, then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
9. In the dialog box as before, click Edit. The Send/Receive Settings – All Accounts dialog box will be displayed. Under our SharePoint account, as illustrated below, our SharePoint Calendar is included in our Send/Receive Options check list.
10. To synchronize our SharePoint Calendar with the Calendar in our SharePoint site, let us click Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, then click Send/Receive All.
NOTE: This is not a synchronization of SharePoint Calendar with Outlook My Calendar.
11. To copy our Outlook My Calendar to SharePoint Calendar, let us select both Outlook Activity A and Outlook Activity B, the click Edit menu, then click Copy to Folder. The Copy Items dialog box will be displayed. Below is the illustrated results.
12. In the Copy Items dialog box, under SharePoint Lists, select SharePoint Calendar, then click OK. Below is the illustrated results.
NOTE: The file is located in our C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook directory as .pst file.
NOTE: If you roam Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, the SharePoint List is synchronized into a folder under the proxy .pst.
NOTE: Any mismatched item will be detached and the original version will be potted in the Local Failures folder.
13. Lastly, let us click Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, then click Send/Receive All. Then, let us open our SharePoint site, and there we have a synchronized calendar items.
14. Yet again, we can do the same Outlook integration with our SharePoint Contacts, Document Library, and Task List. Thanks.