I’ve been exploring Windows Server 2008 Beta 3 and WSS 3.0 to contribute in the Windows Server 2008 Insiders group of MS Philippines.
With the following considerations, do you want to join me in walking through its basic installation process?
a. Installation of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 fails if it is done together with other Role that requires restart.
b. Reinstallation of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 fails if it is uninstalled using Server Manager.
c. Access to create Web Application through SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration is denied.
1. To start, we will open our Server Manager. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, then click Server Manager. Below are the illustrations.
2. In the Server Manager, let us select Roles, then Add Roles. As illustrated below, we will be prompted by the Add Roles Wizard.
3. Along the wizard steps, we will select Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 as the role to be installed.
NOTE: Installation of WSS 3.0 role includes installation of Web Server (IIS 7.0) role and other features – e.g. .NET Framework 3.0, Windows Internal Database, and Windows Process Activation Service.
4. As illustrated below, we are expected to have Web Server (IIS) and Windows SharePoint Services in our Roles Summary list.
5. And finally, browse http://Server Name/ and we will have our Team Site running in Windows Server 2008 Beta 3.
Let me inform you once these known issues are resolved. Thanks.