Finally, SharePoint 2010 is about to take off! Several new and enhanced features are expected. In this article, I will be focusing on the new and enhanced collaboration features of the pre-released copy.
1. Social/Expertise Tagging, Bookmarks, and Notes. Contents can now be tagged, bookmarked, and commented by an authorized user. That information can be used for content discovery.
2. People and Expertise Management. Authorized users are allowed to choose the subjects and author/people of their interest. That information can be used to easily find the information they need.
3. Authorization by Distribution List or Organization. Group authentication based on distribution list or organization is available using constructs in email distribution lists, line-of-business systems, and SharePoint.
4. Blogs. Several significant blog features are incorporated, including enhanced authoring features and multi-browser compatibility.
5. Wikis. With a new page model, content could now easily be managed. A new rich text editor, links insertion, and discussion integration are some of the features that are incorporated.
6. Calendar. In SharePoint 2010, a mashup feature is incorporated where the calendar from Microsoft Exchange Server can be blended with SharePoint calendar. With AJAX infrastructure, the user interface of SharePoint calendar is enhanced.