Few days back, a have posted a guide on how to develop a Sandboxed Visual Web Part using Visual Studio 11. This time let me share with you the steps I have followed in developing SharePoint column, content type, and list using Visual Studio 11.
1. Let us start by creating a SharePoint 2010 Project in our Visual Studio 11.
2. Let us make sure to choose the “Deploy as a sandboxed solution” trust level option.
3. Then, let us add a Site Column. For this demonstration, let us create 2 columns: CustomLastName and CustomFirstName.
4. Now, let us add a content type inheriting the Item content type. For our purpose, let us name it CustomContentType.
5. Let us configure the columns to included in our content type using the latest designer provided by Visual Studio 11. We will include the CustomLastName and CustomFirstName we have created in the previous step.
6. And lastly, we will add a List. We will name it CustomList.
7. On the Choose List Settings dialog, let us make sure to choose the “Customize the list based on Default (Blank)” option.
8. Let us click the Content Types button to display the Content Type Settings dialog. Let us choose the CustomContentType that we have created earlier from the list of content types provided by the dialog window.
9. Before deploying the items we have developed, let us make sure that they are included in the feature.
10. After a successful deployment, we could finally have the custom list and custom columns that we have developed in our SharePoint site.